Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I think I'm alive

Dear Friends,
Thanks so much for the concern emails. I apologize for not writing sooner. I thought that Jen and I would have easy access to the internet. Boy, did I have high hopes! I am in Manglelore. I'm glad to be out of rain, which we had quite a bit of it today. It's been a long, ardous journey but with some fulfilling rewards. On Tuesday, Jen and I were able to visit the Government High School in Banglelore. Originally, we were not assigned this school. It was an add on because we raised so much money ($4,277.41). That's all from the t-shirt sales, ice cream socials, and your sweet donations!

To say it school visit was overwhelming experience, is an understatement. I couldn't stop crying for a good few hours. It was amazing. The children were excited to see us, which in turn made us excited about the seeing them.

We sang, we high-fived, we laughed. It was crazy!!! Oh those crazy Americans. Jen talk the kids "Peanut Butter and Jelly Song". If you're not familiar, I will sing it you when I get back.

The road has been hard on us. The road is a life of its own with its potholes, washed road, cows, goats, chickens, bikes, motobikes, people walking in and out.....
Oh, it can be a real mad house! I've driven twice. Jen is such the trooper. And boy, she puts these rickshaw drivers to shame. Oh, the stares that we get!!! We did have an Indian drag queen come up to the car. It can only happen to us.

I have to run. I have to check in and see if my friends have made it. Oh yes, that's another story. I hope to have internet access on a regular basis.
Take care,
much love,
Raj

3 comments:

Christian Calleri said...

Sweet! What does an Indian drag queen wear? A sari? A salwar? There was a drag queen in the movie "Water" which is who I think of when imagining said queen o' drag. Well, good times, Raj. Good times. I'm glad the school experience was a nice one. I also hope you're kicking some ass out there on the road.

Anonymous said...

alive is very good!!

much better than not alive ;)

chris

ehsimmons said...

Well, Thank God Raj. After hearing that millions of people had been displaced the monsoon rains, and truthfully not really knowing where you are, we were worried. Try to stay safe even if you and Jen can't stay dry.
Ellen, Jerry and Jack